Saturday, May 24, 2008

woodland transplants

I dug up some woodland perennials in one of the garden club member's gardens, but don't really have a good shady spot at the nursery, so I took them up to my friend Shane's house in the woods. I made two patches of violets (a really cool upright bunching variety), cimicifuga (which was just roots with eyes), and Pulmonaria officinalis.


Bandit is very funny... when he sees me digging, sometimes he will come over and very gently dig at where I've put plants in. Maybe someday he will understand that the digging needs to happen before and not after the plants are in the ground. I'm not holding my breath on that one!


The bloom, slightly wilted, of the violet.


Bandit in the fern gully...


Calycanthus floridus, Sweet Shrub, Carolina Allspice, Sweet Bubby, is a beautiful native shrub here in western NC. This photo is taken from the car, it is growing happily on the side of the road! It prefers partial to full shade, blooms in the spring/early summer, and all parts of the plant are poisonous! oh, and it smells sweeeeeeet!

No comments: